Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How to stop employees from surfing and IMing at work?

I am a rookie manager, and believe in macro managing; I usually leave my employees alone when they get their work done. Recently, I鈥檝e noticed a few of my employees are spending more time surfing the web and chatting on-line; in fact, at times, they actually put the work off until they finish surfing the web and chatting with their. I have tried to ask them to get going on their work "NOW", but that only works the first few times. I am extremely concern about their priorities at work.


I went over the company policy today, but the manual did not indicate whether an employee "should or should not surf the web". What can I do to stop this matter and at the same time still give employee their rights of using the net?|||You are the manager----let them know thier raise or jobs are in your hands if this continues-----or come to a comprimise they can surf the net only on thier designated breaks------you can also block im software from the computers-----do what you need to to get productive workers!|||Talk to your supervisor and tell him/her what you've written here. Once you've made them aware of the situation, then they can guide you on the policies to implement.|||You can have your server block IM'ing and web surfing.


Or, what my old boss did:


Monitor all of the computers and let your employees know you are doing it. It's a bit paranoia-inducing, but it should curb the behavior. You can also just tell them to stop - just because it isn't in the employee handbook doesn't mean employees should be doing that behavior during work hours.|||Can you use it as a performance review matter? Maybe they will stop when they can see the $ effect it could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment